Monday, April 11, 2011

Getting back on track

Yikes, over a month since I've written here. I hope that doesn't make me a terrible blogger. In my defense, we've been sick over here, busy getting settled into the new house and I've been busy finishing up work. Yesterday was my last day and I'm on vacation now for 3 weeks before starting my maternity leave. It's been a busy last few weeks trying to adjust to the new house and trying to get into a house cleaning routine, but I think I've almost figured it out. I had a great first day off today. As I type, the dishes are drying, our bed is made, the ensuite bathroom has been deep cleaned and most of the laundry folded and put away. I have a few towels left in the dryer to fold, but towels are easy. We even went to costco today and got groceries, and I changed the insurance on my car to remove the 'to and from work' coverage.

Here's what I've been working on and what I think might work. I've created a daily schedule where I make sure certain things are done before moving onto the next meal. For example, before I make breakfast, I put away any dishes that were left to dry overnight. Before lunch, I make sure the breakfast dishes are washed, a load of laundry is put into the wash, and the playroom is tidied up. During nap time, I move the laundry to the dryer, wash lunch dishes and do one deep clean task per day. Today was the bathrooms. As I mentioned above, the ensuite is done and I just have to wash the counter and mirror in the main. If I can make sure that each of these smaller tasks are done before each meal (or during nap time), then it shouldn't be too hard to maintain the house. So far day 1 of this routine worked out alright. I just have to go finish the bathrooms, put the towels away and sweep the kitchen floor. I'll be sure to report back tomorrow after having M home all day. If I can master this routine with a toddler, the hard part will be adding a newborn to the mix. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment